Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tips for managing your time


Tips for managing your time
By: Marissa Anteby

Ever get the feeling like there just aren't enough hours in the day, or days in the week to accomplish all that you need to? Yeah, sometimes, I feel that way too. To relieve some of the burden that bogs me down, without shirking my responsibilities, I actually add on another one. I schedule in time for myself. I've found that if I don't replenish the source of my energy, I get zapped of it all together. So I make time to take a break. It's not selfish or self-indulgent, it's a necessary item on my 'To Do' list. Think about it; you spend so much time caring for others' needs (family, friends, clients,) shouldn't you devote some time attending to your own needs?

Even though it may seem like time moves fast, you do have the power to slow it down. You are the one ultimately deciding how you use your time. No one but you is in charge of your life. Yes, it's convenient to blame those close to you for adding to daily time constraints, but it's your decision as to how you cope.

Start by assessing your current time management lifestyle. Write down a short list of main categories of the top priorities in your life. What are the things that 'must' get done, no matter what? Fill in sub-categories under each heading, then write an even more specific list under each sub-category. Review what you've written, and sit with it for awhile.

After you feel your lists are completed, read them over slowly. Which items can be delegated to someone else? Which items can be deleted? Which items can be taken care of over a longer period of time, instead of right now.

Prioritize the remaining items on the lists. What are daily tasks? Weekly? Monthly? Honestly ask yourself, "What needs my immediate attention?" You may be surprised that you can knock a few things down some rungs on your list. Now ask yourself, "What do I need to drop, in order to be more efficient?" This doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be able to let this task go, but you may see it in a different light, and eventually be able to gradually remove it.

Now for the fun part. Find spaces in your week that you can sneak in a little alone time. At first, this may mean a few minutes here or there to get outside and get some fresh air. You can start small and work you way up to scheduling in one hour blocks to decompress. Think of it like a 'lunch hour' that you never take but really need.

In order to enjoy life more, do more things you enjoy!

marissa@embodyinc.com
www.embodyinc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment